They're also great for readers who might get squeamish when sex and violence get too detailed. With tabs like: Children's Picture Books, Juvenile and Middle Grade Chapter Books, Young Adult Books, Clean Romance Books, Inspirational Books, Fantasy/Paranormal Books, and Adventure Books, there's plenty to choose from.
That's why book blogs are great. Invest some time online to find the blogs of those who have similar tastes to yours and they can help you find your next great read, especially in those moments when you don't have time to forage on your own.
Now, on to Lisa's interview!
1. Introduce Yourself My first and foremost role is being a mother. I have four children, three boys and one girl. I was a "sahm" for almost 17 years. I now work part time as a lunch lady, so I can be home when my kids are home. I actually enjoy the time at work, it's fun to work closely with a bunch of wonderful ladies, and I get my "girl friend" time in at work.
2. Coffee or Tea or Water? Espresso, Drip, Instant, or French Press? Bag or Looseleaf? Bottled, Filtered, Tap or Rainwater? It would have to be water for me. I love filtered water. If I can't get the filtered then I resort to bottled. My first preference would really have to be Dr. Pepper though. :)
3. Why do you blog about books? Reading has always been a love of mine. As far as blogging goes, I kind of fell into it. I started reviewing on Goodreads and then things expanded. I really enjoy sharing my journey of reading with others.
4. What inspired the design of your site? Several years ago I made a profile picture of the book I was reading (The Sword of Shannara Trilogy ~ 25th anniversary edition) with a bookmark that I created from my kids school pictures. It has reading glasses on top of the book. I spend several years in my local PTA helping children learn to read. I wanted my blog to reflect a family friendly atmosphere and focus on books that would appeal to all ages. So I have books from childrens picture books to romance books for mom and grandma.
5. What is your favorite thing about book blogging? I can't believe all of the wonderful bloggers out there. There is a thriving community of book bloggers. I have had the opportunity to "meet online" many people that I wouldn't have known about in any other way.
6. How do you decide which books to read? There has to be an appeal on some level to me. When I first started blogging, I couldn't believe that people actually wanted to give me a copy of their books to read. I accepted everything, but soon learned that it didn't work for me. I received books that I just couldn't get interested in. I now look at the story line, the cover, and sometimes I will look at reviews that have been written on the book before making my decision.
7. How much time do you invest reading and blogging? I don't know how to get a number for that. I spend many hours reading and many hours blogging. I try to spend more time reading that blogging. Sometimes it is hard to find the balance, because my kids need me too.
8. Care to comment on the Alice Hoffman quote: Books may well be the only magic?
I look at books more as an escape. I love that I can learn and be entertained. That is in a way magical. My favorite quote about books comes from The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Society.
"That's what I love about reading: One tiny thing will interest you in a book, and another tiny thing will lead you onto another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive - all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment."
9. On a scale of 1-10, how eccentric are you? 10 being VERY...
Maybe a four or so. I try to blend in.
10. Is there anything else we need to know about you? I am committed to literacy and helping people find books that are a good fit for them. My blog is on the conservative side. I try to find books that I wouldn't be embarrassed to recommend to my grandma, or my daughter, she's 15. I am very committed to my family, particularly my very supportive husband.
Lisa, thank you for sharing your love of books with us!
You can visit Bookworm Lisa for reviews, giveaways, blog tours, cover reveals, and other bookish things every day of the week.